Recipe By: merlfish
“I was inspired by a few different banana cupcake recipes before settling on this one. The cream cheese frosting is probably my favorite part; it’s just wonderfully decadent on a banana cupcake. Refrigerate cupcakes after frosting. P.S. They taste much better the next day!”
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, or to taste (optional)
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Combine white sugar, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup butter in another bowl; beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in egg. Mix in mashed bananas. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, stirring after each addition. Fold chocolate chips into the batter.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool cupcakes on a wire rack, about 30 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese and 3 tablespoons butter in a bowl until smooth. Add vanilla extract. Beat in confectioners’ sugar, 1 cup at a time, until frosting is smooth.
- Spread frosting over cupcakes.